High Impact Endurance Review: Pros, Cons, and Effectiveness
High Impact Endurance is a supplement designed to improve energy and endurance while reducing fatigue and supporting athletic performance. While at a high price point, this product has substantial evidence behind its active ingredients and may be worth the investment for some people.
High Impact Endurance, also known as Power Life Endurance, is an energy, endurance, and recovery formula made by Power Life Nutrition.
The product is claimed to provide a steady supply of energy, increase endurance levels, and reduce fatigue.
Power Life brand was created by Tony Horton, a well-known personal trainer who created the P90X home exercise program.
High Impact Endurance contains two main ingredients, which have been evaluated below based on available scientific evidence.
Astaxanthin is a naturally-occurring carotenoid compound. It’s responsible for the pink pigmentation of marine animals like salmon, shrimp, and lobster.
Supplemental astaxanthin appears to help protect and improve the function of mitochondria, which are responsible for generating ATP energy needed to power cellular reactions in the body.
Some animal research shows that astaxanthin can help alleviate insulin resistance in skeletal muscle.
It appears to do this by activating the AMPK pathway, which signals your body to increase its uptake of glucose, inhibit glycogen storage, and look for energy from more places.
A 2006 animal study found that astaxanthin supplementation significantly increased the swimming endurance of mice, by increasing the use of fatty acids as a source of energy, compared to the control group.
Furthermore, a 2020 review of 20 studies found that astaxanthin supports muscle health by reducing oxidative stress, fueling mitochondrial regeneration, and promoting the growth of blood vessels.
It may also have therapeutic potential in the instance of sarcopenia, or age-related muscle mass loss.
Additionally, astaxanthin may be beneficial in improving fatigue.
A 2018 randomized controlled trial found that 4 weeks of astaxanthin supplementation given to 24 healthy volunteers was associated with significantly improved mental fatigue compared to placebo.
Other research suggests that its effects on fatigue are due to its ability to reduce oxidative stress and improve mitochondrial defects.
The only study I could find related to weight management was a 2006 animal study, which found that astaxanthin reduced liver weight, liver triglyceride, plasma triglyceride, and total cholesterol among obese mice fed a high-fat diet.
That being said, improved weight management could be an indirect benefit of increased endurance, energy, and muscle health for active people.
This is an ingredient made of blended natural peat and apple polyphenols, which has been patented by FutureCeuticals for use in this product.
A 2013 clinical study found that a single dose of ElevATP increased blood levels of ATP without increasing reactive oxygen species (ROS).
ROS are byproducts of cellular metabolism in the mitochondria that contribute to oxidative stress in the body. Your body uses ATP for energy.
A 2015 randomized controlled trial found that a once-daily supplement of ElevATP among 25 healthy, resistance-trained men helped improve skeletal muscle hypertrophy without affecting blood chemistry or fat mass.
These effects may improve athletic performance. The study was retrospectively registered as a clinical trial sponsored by MusclePharm Sports Science Institute in collaboration with VDF FutureCeuticals Inc.
Here is our summary of the available support for the claimed benefits of High Impact Endurance, based on the available studies:
- Provide a steady supply of energyGold Star Evidence
- Increase endurance levelsGold Star Evidence
- Reduce fatigueGold Star Evidence
- Helps with weight managementLimited Evidence
Each bottle contains 30 capsules, which is a one-month supply at one capsule per day.
The website states that this product is third-party verified to contain the ingredients claimed and in the listed amounts
However, I didn’t see any information about which third-party company this is. The bottle itself doesn’t appear to visibly bear a third-party seal.
High doses of astaxanthin may result in stomach pain, more frequent bowel movements, and a red-colored stool.
Some studies show that it may inhibit the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase and should not be taken with drugs that also hinder this enzyme.
While the health impacts are unknown, this could prevent testosterone from changing into the hormone DHT.
High Impact Endurance can be purchased on the Power Life Nutrition website for:
- 1 bottle: $64.95
- 3 bottles: $173.85
- 6 bottles: $329.70
At best, this comes out to $659.40 per year for someone taking it every day.
While this is a high price point, this product does have an evidence-based formulation and may be worth it for people in need of support for high-intensity activity.
The website states that the only way to get this product is through the brand website directly, which is intended to keep customer costs as low as possible.
However, I was able to find it on Amazon through the Power Life storefront, at a lower price of $52.95 for one bottle.
If you’re not satisfied, the product has a 90-day money-back guarantee with clear instructions for contacting customer service.
Most other similar supplements are only astaxanthin-based, as ElevATP is a patented ingredient for this product, which makes it unique.
The astaxanthin supplements cost approximately one-third as much and contain a higher dose per capsule, in some cases containing twice as much astaxanthin.
That being said, most recommended astaxanthin doses appear to be 8 mg/day or less. Not much is known about its upper limit, so more isn’t necessarily better.
High Impact Endurance is a supplement designed to improve endurance, reduce fatigue, support healthy weight management, and provide a steady supply of energy to your body.
It has a number of studies, including randomized controlled trials of humans, to back up the efficacy for most of its claims.
While it’s offered at a higher price point than other astaxanthin supplements, it contains the patented ingredient ElevATP, which has been shown to be beneficial through clinical research.
High Impact Endurance may be beneficial for people looking to improve endurance and athletic performance.
However, improving athletic performance requires a multi-faceted approach, not just taking a dietary supplement.
A well-balanced diet that supports endurance, stress management, hydration, and adequate rest and sleep are all part of improving performance.
High Impact Endurance may be one part of the equation to help support optimal physical fitness.
At WellnessVerge, we only use primary references for our articles, including peer reviewed medical journals or well-respected academic institutions.
- Astaxanthin: a review of its chemistry and applications:
- Astaxanthin: A Potential Mitochondrial-Targeted Antioxidant Treatment in Diseases and with Aging:
- Astaxanthin exerts anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects in macrophages in NRF2-dependent and independent manners:
- Inhibitory Effect of Astaxanthin on Oxidative Stress-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction-A Mini-Review:
- Astaxanthin stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis in insulin resistant muscle via activation of AMPK pathway:
- Effects of astaxanthin supplementation on exercise-induced fatigue in mice:
- Effects of astaxanthin on the protection of muscle health (Review):
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Astaxanthin and Sesamin on Daily Fatigue: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Two-Way Crossover Study:
- Effects of Astaxanthin in Obese Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet:
- Effect of the dietary supplement ElevATP on blood ATP level: An acute pilot clinical study:
- Supplementation with a proprietary blend of ancient peat and apple extract may improve body composition without affecting hematology in resistance-trained men:
- Ancient peat and apple extracts supplementation may improve strength and power adaptations in resistance trained men:
- Effects of ElevATP on Body Composition and Athletic Performance:
- A preliminary investigation of the enzymatic inhibition of 5alpha-reduction and growth of prostatic carcinoma cell line LNCap-FGC by natural astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto lipid extract in vitro:
- Safety of astaxanthin for its use as a novel food in food supplements: