WellnessVerge is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through the links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
SkinnyFit Super Youth Multi-Collagen Peptides Review: Good Ingredients but Pricey
Medically Reviewed by Anthony Dugarte, MD
Last Updated on May 29, 2023
SkinnyFit Super Youth Multi-collagen supplement contains five common collagen types and other beneficial ingredients for skin and joint benefits. However, even that does not justify the high price of this collagen supplement.
- Super Youth is unique in containing five common types of collagen (type I, II, III, V, and X) from four sources. (Most popular collagen supplements only contain type I and III sourced from bovine.)
- Most of the research on collagen supplementation has been done on type I, II, and III, which shows promising benefits for skin, nails, bones, muscles, and joint health.
- We could reason that supplementing with five collagen types is more beneficial than with two kinds. However, currently, there is no solid scientific research to support this.
- Super Youth contains two additional beneficial ingredients, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid, which aid in collagen absorption and production. However, the amount of hyaluronic acid is on the lower end compared to similar products.
- The weight loss claims of SkinnyFit are likely based on the inclusion of apple cider vinegar (ACV) in the supplement. Although there is some promising research on this, the studies are inconclusive for now.
- Super Youth Multi-Collagen Peptides is the most expensive collagen supplement we have evaluated. Even with its potential benefits, we can’t justify its high price because similar options are significantly cheaper.
- Lastly, some of the collagen in Super Youth is sourced from chicken, fish, and egg. Anyone with an allergy to these foods should discuss this product with their physician before consuming it.
Things to Like About Super Youth
- Contains five types of common collagen
- Collagen comes in hydrolyzed (more absorbable) form
- Contains vitamin C and hyaluronic acid to support collagen absorption and production
- Comes in unflavored and flavored varieties
- Consumers report that it mixes easily, and flavored versions taste great
- Collagen supplements require time (at least 6–8 weeks) and consistent, ongoing use to produce results
- Significantly more expensive than alternative collagen supplements (and no free shipping)
- Weight loss claims do not have strong scientific support
Super Youth Multi-Collagen Peptides is a powdered collagen supplement containing five types of collagen (hence the name). This includes collagen types I, II, III, V, and X.
Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins in our bodies, which is vital for our health. However, collagen production declines with age. Recently, there has been emerging research into the potential health benefits of collagen supplementation, including supporting hair, skin, nails, joint, and bone health. (1)
Most of the current collagen research focuses on type I and III (and a bit on type II). Super Youth, on the other hand, is formulated on the idea that supplementing with five types of collagen is better than just two. This may be the case. However, supplementation with the additional two types of collagen has not been extensively studied, so it is difficult to conclude any benefit at this time.
Super Youth’s collagen is sourced from bovine (beef), chicken, fish, and egg shells. It comes in hydrolyzed collagen peptide form, which is better absorbed in the body.
In addition to collagen, Super Youth contains vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and apple cider vinegar.
Super Youth is manufactured by SkinnyFit, a popular social media wellness brand focusing on several supplements, including detox tea, greens, and collagen powders.
How to Take It
Super Youth comes in unflavored and several flavored varieties (orange pineapple, chocolate, peach mango, and tropical punch).
To use the unflavored version, mix two scoops of powder once daily into any beverage, such as hot coffee, tea, juice, or smoothie. It can also be mixed into foods such as pancakes, oatmeal, or soup. The company does not recommend mixing the unflavored version with just plain water.
The flavored varieties, on the other hand, can be mixed with plain water. To use, mix two scoops of powder once daily with water. Based on consumer reviews, Super Youth mixes easily and tastes great.
As with any collagen supplement, it may take 6–8 weeks of consistent daily use to notice results.
If purchased on the brand’s website, one canister of SkinnyFit Super Youth Collagen, which contains 28 servings, costs $99.95 or $79.96 with a subscription. The cost of each canister doesn’t decrease if you buy in larger quantities. Your first order comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Whether you buy as a one-time purchase or subscribe for recurring orders, shipping will always cost $5.95 for a single canister and will increase based on the amount you order. However, your shipping cost will not exceed $19.95.
This supplement is also sold on Amazon and Walmart for roughly the same price of $99.95.
The powder comes in the following flavors: orange pineapple, chocolate, peach mango, tropical punch, and unflavored.
Overall, the ingredients used in this supplement have research supporting the brand’s claims for improved skin appearance and joint health due to the collagen, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C present in the formulation. However, although the company promotes a healthy weight, there isn’t much significant research on collagen and apple cider vinegar’s role in promoting weight management.
See Supplement Facts
There are 28 servings per containing (serving size is two scoops, approximately 17.5 grams)
- Calories: 60
- Sodium: 50 mg
- Protein: 14 g
- Vitamin C (as Sodium Ascorbate): 181 mg
- Multi-Collagen Complex (Hydrolyzed Bovine Collagen, Hydrolyzed Fish Collagen, Hydrolyzed Chicken Collagen, Eggshell Membrane): 15.6 g
- Apple Cider Vinegar: 200 mg
- Hyaluronic Acid: 50 mg
Below we will share the research behind each ingredient used in this supplement.
SkinnyFit Super Youth contains the following five collagen types:
- Type I: The most abundant type of collagen in the human body, typically found in skin and connective tissues. It’s good for skin, hair, and bone health.
- Type II: Covers various joints and cartilage surfaces.
- Type III: The second most abundant collagen and helps support the shape of our organs and tissues. It’s good for skin health.
- Type V: Essential for forming collagen fibers of types I and III, which are crucial for tissue strength. It is found in bones, eyes, muscles, liver, lungs, and placenta, supporting their structure.
- Type X: Plays a role in bone and cartilage formation.
In addition, studies have shown that collagen type II supplementation, along with acetaminophen (what you find in Tylenol or other popular over-the-counter pain relievers), helps relieve joint pain for people with osteoarthritis. (4)
It’s important to note that while the five collagen types listed above are crucial to our health and supplementation may help, there is not much available research on collagen types V and X in terms of supplementation. All of the collagen in SkinnyFit is part of a blend at 15.6 grams, an adequate amount to have an impact.
SkinnyFit Super Youth contains 181 mg of vitamin C (above the recommended amount). Studies show vitamin C may help support collagen type I production and accelerate bone healing. (7)
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is found naturally in the body, especially in the skin and connective tissues. HA helps retain moisture (including in the skin), plays an important role in skin elasticity, and supports collagen production. Studies show that oral HA may improve wrinkles and overall skin health. (8)
In addition, hyaluronic acid may help reduce joint inflammation, support the growth and development of joint cartilage, and provide lubrication. Studies have shown that HA supplementation may reduce mild knee pain, including in those with osteoarthritis. (9)
There are 50 mg of HA in this supplement, which is slightly less than some of the popular brands out there.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Recently apple cider vinegar (ACV) has been touted to support weight loss. One small study showed that consuming 1–2 tablespoons of ACV per day helped increase the feeling of fullness and decrease body weight, body mass index, and hip circumference. (10)
Although the study was promising, it was very short and small in terms of how many people took ACV for its weight loss benefits. Additionally, even though the participants experienced some weight loss from ACV, it’s important to note that they were also on a calorie-restricted diet. More long-term research on humans is needed to understand how effective ACV may be for weight loss.
There are 200 mg of ACV in this supplement, which is likely less than the amounts used in the study.
Collagen supplements are generally considered safe to take in the recommended doses. While side effects are rare, they are still possible. The most common ones are gas and bloating or a bad taste in the mouth. (11)
Because SkinnyFit Super Youth contains collagen derived from various animal sources (chicken, bovine, fish, and eggs), it is not a good fit for those following a vegan diet.
In addition, if you have any food allergies, speak to your doctor to help determine whether this product is safe for you.
SkinnyFit Super Youth is unique in offering five types of collagen, including type I, II, III, X, and V (most collagen supplements only provide types I and III). However, as mentioned earlier, there is not enough clinical research showing that supplementing a collagen powder with five collagen types is more effective than just the two.
Super Youth also contains vitamin C, hyaluronic acid (two common ingredients in collagen supplements), and apple cider vinegar (ACV) for weight loss. However, the amount of hyaluronic acid is on the lower end, and little research shows that ACV can help support long-term weight loss.
One thing that truly stands out about Super Youth is its high price. Even with all the potential benefits this product can bring, the high price is not justified when comparing it to other reputable collagen brands.
Here’s how Super Youth compares to a few popular collagen brands:
|Super Youth Multi-Collagen Peptides||Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Advanced||NeoCell Super Collagen Plus||CB Multi Collagen Protein Powder|
|Collagen Types||Types I, II, III, V, and X||Types I and III||Types I and III||Types I, II, III, V, and X|
|Collagen Sources||Hydrolyzed bovine collagen, Hydrolyzed fish collagen, Hydrolyzed chicken collagen, Eggshell membrane collagen||Hydrolyzed bovine collagen||Hydrolyzed bovine collagen||Hydrolyzed bovine collagen, Beef stock powder, Hydrolyzed fish collagen, Eggshell membrane collagen, Chicken bone broth collagen|
|Collagen Amount||15.6 g||20 g||12 g||15.6 g|
|Protein||14 g||18 g||10 g||14 g|
|Other Ingredients||Vitamin C (181 mg); Hyaluronic acid (50 mg); ACV (200 mg)||Vitamin C (90 mg); Hyaluronic acid (80 mg)||Vitamin C (120 mg); Hyaluronic acid (60 mg)||None|
|Third-Party Tested||No||Yes, NSF Certified||Yes||Yes, NSF Certified|
|One-Time Purchase Price||$99.95 (28-day supply)||$49.99 (28-day supply)||$36.99 (30-day supply)||$54.97 (29-day supply)|
|Price per Serving||$3.57||$1.79||$1.23||$1.90|
|Return Policy||90 days||30 days||60 days||30 days|
|Purchase Options||Shop on SkinnyFit.com||Shop on VitalProteins.com||Shop on Amazon||Shop on Amazon|
At WellnessVerge, we only use reputable sources, including peer-reviewed medical journals and well-respected academic institutions.
- Oral Collagen Supplementation: A Systematic Review of Dermatological Applications - PubMed:
- A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study:
- Collagen Hydrolysates for Skin Protection: Oral Administration and Topical Formulation - PMC:
- Effects of Native Type II Collagen Treatment on Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial:
- Undenatured Type II Collagen (UC-II) in Joint Health and Disease: A Review on the Current Knowledge of Companion Animals:
- Functional Characterization of Undenatured Type II Collagen Supplements: Are They Interchangeable? - PubMed:
- Efficacy of Vitamin C Supplementation on Collagen Synthesis and Oxidative Stress After Musculoskeletal Injuries: A Systematic Review - PMC:
- Oral hyaluronan relieves wrinkles: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled study over a 12-week period - PMC:
- Oral hyaluronan relieves knee pain: a review - PMC:
- Beneficial effects of Apple Cider Vinegar on weight management, Visceral Adiposity Index and lipid profile in overweight or obese subjects receiving restricted calorie diet: A randomized clinical trial:
- Role of collagen hydrolysate in bone and joint disease: