Bio Complete 3 Review: A Promising Probiotic Blend for Gut Health
Medically Reviewed by Natalie Olsen, MS, RDN, LD, ACSM-EP
Last Updated on August 13, 2022
Bio Complete 3 is a gut health supplement designed to promote digestive health, support weight loss, and improve energy. This high-quality formula includes a blend of probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics to support gut health.
WellnessVerge is reader-supported. When you make a purchase through links on this page, we may earn a commission. Learn More
One of the keys to solid and sustainable health lives in our gut.
Research shows that the intestines’ microbes interact significantly with our mind, heart, and overall wellness.
Ensuring optimal gut health is essential for anyone wanting to take steps towards improving their overall health.
That’s why some people turn to supplements to help support just that.
This article will review Bio Complete 3 — a gut health supplement — and help you understand how it works, its potential benefits, safety consideration, cost, and whether it’s the right choice.
Bio Complete 3 is a gut health supplement founded by Dr. Gundry — a cardiac surgeon with over 30 years of experience.
The product supports gut health by providing a blend of probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics.
- Probiotics: Essential bacteria in the digestive tract that are known to improve digestive health and support a healthy immune function. (4)
- Prebiotics: Act as fuel for probiotics, helping the essential bacteria grow — often in the form of fiber.
- Postbiotics: Produced by the fermentation process carried out by beneficial bacteria. (5)
As a result of the above-mentioned fermentation, short-chain fatty acids such as Butyrate are produced. (6)
Research shows that Butyrate — found in the form of Tributyrin in Bio Complete 3 — is the primary energy source for the cells that line the colon. (5)
With the inclusion of prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics, Bio Complete 3 offers a comprehensive product to support your gut’s integrity and total body wellness.
Bio Complete 3 includes prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics to improve gut health and overall wellness.
When taken daily, Bio Complete 3 claims to:
- Improve gut health
- Support weight management
- Increase energy levels
- Decrease food cravings
The formula contains the probiotic Bacillus coagulans. However, the amount listed is 16 mg, which does not provide information on how many CFUs are available per serving.
This information would be helpful for better determining how much live bacteria you are ingesting. However, when combined with a healthy lifestyle and the combination of prebiotics and postbiotics, Bio Complete 3 may still offer benefits.
Below we will review each of the claimed benefits, their respective ingredients, and scientific research.
Improve Gut Health
Bio Complete 3 contains a probiotic, prebiotic, and postbiotic blend that may improve digestive health.
Probiotics are living microorganisms that are believed to produce health benefits when ingested.
The gut microbiota’s functions include digestion, vitamin production, and metabolism. Probiotics aid in these functions. (4)
Probiotic supplementation in healthy adults may improve the concentration of beneficial gut bacteria, leading to improved digestion, better bowel movements, and less gas and bloating. (7)
Research has found that the probiotic Bacillus coagulans — present in Bio Complete 3 — can withstand the stomach’s acidic environment to reach the intestine where it grows. (8)
Once B. coagulans is active in the small intestine, it has been shown to improve the groups of beneficial bacteria, resulting in better digestion, less abdominal pain, and less bloat. (8)
Research has found B. coagulans to protect the intestinal tract against pathogens, creating a healthier and more efficient gut. (8)
Bio Complete 3 also includes SunFiber — a prebiotic shown to play a positive role in digestive health and promotes better stool frequency and consistency. (9)
However, one small study confirmed 5 grams per day of SunFiber had positive effects. Bio Complete 3 contains much less at 200 mg per serving. (9)
Finally, postbiotics such as Butyrate have been recognized for their beneficial effects on intestinal health.
With anti-inflammatory properties, Butyrate enhances intestinal barrier function and immunity. (10)
With a healthy diet and lifestyle, Bio Complete 3 contains a combination of probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics that may benefit gut health.
Probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics are essential in ensuring a healthy digestive system. While eating a healthy diet is critical in ensuring a healthy gut, Bio Complete 3 may be a practical option for extra support to improve your gut health.
Support Weight Management
Bio Complete 3 includes a blend of ingredients that may improve weight loss and support weight management.
The probiotic in Bio Complete 3 is. B coagulans — research has shown B. coagulans to play a role in the digestion of carbohydrates and protein and may maximize the benefits of protein supplementation. (11)
Optimal protein intake and absorption are necessary for weight loss. (12)
Clinical studies have determined that microbial diversity has a preventive effect on long-term weight gain in healthy individuals. (4)
While Bio Complete 3’s SunFiber content is lower than most clinical studies, combined with a fiber-rich diet, it may provide benefits associated with weight loss.
Finally, Butyrate — present in Bio Complete 3 as Tributyrin — may play a promising role in improving fat metabolism and decreasing obesity-induced fat accumulation. (15)
The combination of the prebiotic, probiotic, and postbiotic present in Bio Complete 3 may be helpful in supporting weight management.
Related: Can Probiotics Help You Lose Weight?
Increase Energy Levels
Having a healthy gut is one important factor in improving energy levels. Bio Complete 3 is made with ingredients that support a healthy gut in a variety of ways.
One study confirmed bacteria in the gut influence both mental and physical energy and fatigue. It was shown that certain bacteria influence inflammation — which contributes to fatigue — while other good bacteria influence feelings of energy. (16)
The ingredients in Bio Complete 3 may support optimal energy levels by improving the diversity of bacteria in the gut.
Research has found that more diverse bacteria may lead to better absorption and availability of nutrients, decreased inflammation, and increased energy production from food. (4)
The probiotic B. coagulans in Bio Complete 3 has been shown to aid in the digestion of carbohydrates and protein, allowing the body to utilize nutrients better. (11)
Healthy bacteria in the gut are correlated with improved energy. Bio Complete 3 may contribute to improving energy levels by increasing the diversity of good bacteria and enhancing the absorption of nutrients.
Decrease Food Cravings
Bio Complete 3 may reduce food cravings by supporting a healthy balance of gut bacteria with its prebiotic content.
Clinical research has shown that different microbes in our gut may have an effect on the foods we are craving. (18)
Studies have shown that having a positive balance of gut bacteria may lead to less cravings and food addictions. (19)
If taken alongside a healthy lifestyle, Bio Complete 3 may decrease food cravings by supporting overall gut health and a balance of good bacteria.
The Evidence Score
Here is our score, based on scientific evidence, of how likely Bio Complete 3 will be effective for its claimed benefits:
|Support weight management||4.25/5|
|Increase energy levels||3.25/5|
|Decrease food cravings||3.25/5|
Bio Complete 3’s nutrition information per serving (4 capsules) includes:
- Calories: 10
- Total Fat: 1 gram
- Saturated: 1 gram
- CoreBiome (Standardized to 30% Tributyrin): 1000 mg
- SunFiber: 200 mg
- ProDURA (Baccillus Coagulans): 16 mg
Other ingredients include Microcrystalline Cellulose, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sunflower Oil, Fatty Acids Esterfied with Glycerol, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Maltodextrin.
The recommended dosing for Bio Complete 3 is four capsules a day, taken morning or night.
For optimal benefits, it is recommended to take this product daily.
Probiotics such as Bio Complete 3 are generally safe for healthy adults.
However, caution should be used with taking probiotics if:
- You have a weakened immune system, a critical illness, or have recently had surgery. This is due to a possible risk of infection in certain people. (20, 21)
- You suffer from GI conditions. You must review with your physician before beginning supplementation, as some probiotics may worsen your condition.
- You are pregnant or nursing. Bio Complete 3 is not intended for pregnant or nursing individuals without doctor supervision.
Bio Complete 3 is gluten-free, vegetarian, and free of added sugars. It has also been third-party tested to ensure purity and potency.
While side effects are not widely reported, some people may deal with mild side effects from probiotic supplements in general — such as diarrhea and bloat.
Bio Complete 3 is not sold in stores and must be purchased directly from the online store at gundrymd.com.
Each bottle provides a 30-day supply.
Purchase options include:
- One Bottle: $69.95, or $49.95 with a subscription
- Three Bottles: $188.85, or $134.85 with a subscription
- Six Bottles: $353.70, or $254.85 with a subscription
While the product is pricier than other probiotic supplements, it can help you save money if purchased in bulk.
Bio Complete 3 offers a 90-day money-back guarantee — if you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, you will be issued a refund, minus the cost of shipping.
Bio Complete 3 is unique with its prebiotic, probiotic, and postbiotic combination.
Comparable products include Seed Daily Synbiotic and Ritual Synbiotic+.
Seed Daily Synbiotic
Seed is comparable to Bio Complete 3, with a blend of 24 clinically-studied probiotic strains and a prebiotic.
Seed has been clinically shown to support:
- Digestive health
- Skin health
- Nutrient synthesis
- Heart health
Seed Daily Synbiotic is a highly tested supplement that undergoes third-party testing to determine the availability of the probiotics through the digestive tract.
Compared to Bio Complete 3, Seed has undergone more thorough testing and includes a broader range of probiotics. A variety of probiotics may be helpful because different probiotics have different functions and health benefits.
Seed costs $49.99 for a month’s supply, including shipping and a free travel vial.
If you are looking for a comprehensive probiotic supplement, Seed Daily Synbiotic is a great choice and comes at a lower price point than Bio Complete 3.
Ritual Synbiotic+ provides a 3-in-1 blend of probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotics to support gut health.
The probiotic blend includes Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis in 11 billion CFUs.
The blend may relieve mild and occasional digestive discomforts such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea. (22)
The prebiotic — PreforPro — is designed to target undesirable gut bacteria and support healthy gut bacteria growth.
Finally, Ritual contains Tributyrin — a form of Butyrate to act as a postbiotic.
Ritual is the most comparable to Bio Complete 3, with third-party testing and clinical trials to support its claims.
Ritual Synbiotic+ is $50 for a 30-day supply.
Ritual Synbiotic+ is a comprehensive option to support gut health and comes at a lower price point than Bio Complete 3.
|Bio Complete 3||Seed Daily Synbiotic||Ritual Synbiotic+|
|Regular Price||$69.95 for 1-month supply||$49.99 for 1-month supply||$50 for 1-month supply|
|Discounted or Subscription Price||$49.95 for 1-month supply||$49.99 for 1-month supply||No subscription available|
|Shipping||$4.95 or free on orders over $50||Free shipping||Free shipping for most locations|
|Returns||90-day money back||30-day money back||30-day money back|
Bifidobacterium longum Bifidobacterium breve
Organic rice fiber
Lactobacillus rhamnosus Bifidobacterium animalis
PreforPro Probiotic blend
Bio Complete 3 may be an excellent option for your daily regimen if you find yourself struggling to eat a balanced diet and need support managing a healthy gut.
This supplement is ideal for individuals looking for a comprehensive gut health formula with probiotics, prebiotics, and postbiotic ingredients.
To see optimal results, it is best to take the product consistently.
When using the subscription service, the cost of the product is similar to alternative products. For peace of mind, if you do not see results, you can return it for a refund with their 90-day risk-free trial.
Furthermore, a healthy intake of probiotic-containing foods such as kefir, Greek yogurt, and fermented vegetables helps maintain optimal gut health.
At WellnessVerge, we only use primary references for our articles, including peer reviewed medical journals or well-respected academic institutions.
- Gut Microbiota: The Link to Your Second Brain: Cell:
- The second brain: The connection between gut microbiota composition and multiple sclerosis – Journal of Neuroimmunology:
- The Second Brain: Is the Gut Microbiota a Link Between Obesity and Central Nervous System Disorders? - PMC:
- The Influence of the Gut Microbiome on Obesity in Adults and the Role of Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics for Weight Loss - PMC:
- Postbiotics and Their Potential Applications in Early Life Nutrition and Beyond:
- Effects of short chain fatty acids on metabolic and inflammatory processes in human health – ScienceDirect:
- A review of probiotic supplementation in healthy adults: helpful or hype? | European Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
- Probiotic Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 Improves Protein Absorption and Utilization - PMC:
- Prebiotic Effects of Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum on the Composition and Function of the Human Microbiota-Results from the PAGODA Trial - PubMed:
- Butyrate: A Double-Edged Sword for Health? | Advances in Nutrition | Oxford Academic:
- Probiotic Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 Improves Protein Absorption and Utilization - PubMed:
- The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance - PubMed:
- The effects of inulin on gut microbial composition: a systematic review of evidence from human studies | SpringerLink:
- Consumption of partially hydrolysed guar gum stimulates Bifidobacteria and butyrate-producing bacteria in the human large intestine - PubMed:
- The Protective Role of Butyrate against Obesity and Obesity-Related Diseases - PMC:
- Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Trait Energy and Fatigue May Be Connected to Gut Bacteria among Young Physically Active Adults: An Exploratory Study | HTML:
- Microbiome restoration diet improves digestion, cognition and physical and emotional wellbeing - PMC:
- Is eating behavior manipulated by the gastrointestinal microbiota? Evolutionary pressures and potential mechanisms - PMC:
- Decoding the Role of Gut-Microbiome in the Food Addiction Paradigm - PMC:
- Probiotics: What is it, Benefits, Side Effects, Food & Types:
- Probiotic supplements might not be universally-effective and safe: A review – ScienceDirect:
- Ritual Clinical Study: