WellnessVerge is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through the links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
Morning Complete Review: May Be Helpful but Not for Everyone
Medically Reviewed by Natalie Olsen, MS, RDN
Last Updated on March 8, 2023
Morning Complete is a daily supplement designed to increase your nutrient intake to support total body health. Overall, it could simplify and improve your daily wellness routine, but customer reviews are mixed.
Key Takeaways (TL;DR)
- Morning Complete contains several health-boosting ingredients, like probiotics, fiber, adaptogens, herbs, and antioxidants. With all these different ingredients in one product, it may be an easy and convenient way to increase your nutrient intake to support whole-body health.
- Morning Complete may provide benefits but only alongside a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Strong evidence supports several of the ingredients in Morning Complete, like fiber and probiotics for improved digestion and the various antioxidant herbs and extracts for their free radical-neutralizing potential.
- There is less strong evidence to support other claims, such as increasing energy, boosting metabolism, or improving liver function and cellular health.
- According to Trustpilot and Amazon, customer reviews of the product are relatively mixed. Some reviewers like the product a great deal and say that it has made a definite difference in their health and energy, while others say it didn’t make a noticeable difference.
- We found the taste wasn’t bad. It tasted like unsweetened iced tea with a hint of apple and was not too “grassy”.
What Morning Complete Gets Right
- The supplement contains several health-promoting ingredients like antioxidants, fiber, and probiotics that may help improve digestive health, brain function, metabolism, and energy levels.
- The company offers a 90-day money-back guarantee for opened or unopened containers.
- It can replace several individual supplement products.
- The amounts of individual ingredients aren’t shared on the label.
- The product needs to be taken consistently long-term, so the ongoing monthly cost is an important factor to consider.
- Although we confirmed directly with the company that the product is third-party tested for quality and safety, the results are not displayed publicly on their website.
- The supplement is generally safe but not for everyone.
A Quick Look at Morning Complete
Morning Complete by ActivatedYou is a powdered dietary supplement designed to increase your daily nutrient intake to support various body functions. ActivatedYou was founded by actress Maggie Q and integrative medicine doctor Dr. Frank Lipman.
The supplement contains various wellness-promoting ingredients, like probiotics, fiber, antioxidants, vegetable powders, and more, to help support overall wellness, energy, digestion, focus, mood, cellular health, liver function, and more.
Click to View the Supplement Facts
One serving contains:
- Calories: 15
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Prebiotic and High Fiber Blend: 4.05 grams (tapioca fiber, cinnamon bark)
- Green Superfoods Blend: 735 mg (spinach, broccoli, kale, mulberry leaf extract, alfalfa leaf, barley grass, berberine HCl)
- Metabolic Enhancing Blend: 390 mg (green tea leaf extract, ginger root, white tea leaf extract, turmeric root extract, bitter melon fruit extract, black pepper)
- Antioxidant Blend: 100 mg (lycium berry, pomegranate fruit extract, Polygonum cuspidatum root extract)
- Sugar Balancing Support: 100 mg (Gymnema sylvestre leaf, fennel seed, pine bark extract)
- Adaptogens: 55 mg (Astragalus root extract, Rhodiola rosea root extract, diindolylmethane)
- Cellular Function and Liver Support: 30 mg (aloe vera leaf, milk thistle seed extract)
- Probiotic Blend: 10 billion CFU (B. coagulans, L. gasseri, L. plantarum, L. rhamnosus, B. bifidum, B. longum, L. acidophilus, L. casei, S. thermophilus)
The Taste Was Okay and Prepping It Was Easy
Morning Complete comes in a powdered form and is available in apple cinnamon or citrus flavors.
A serving of Morning Complete is one scoop. You take the supplement by mixing it into 8 ounces of liquid and drinking it. (ActivatedYou recommends mixing it into water or green tea.)
Also, you should keep the supplement in the refrigerator once you open it.
We tried the apple cinnamon Morning Complete. It's not sweet but actually tastes like an apple-flavored, unsweetened powered ice tea with no grassy taste. The drink did not have as much texture or boldness but felt more watery. It dissolved easily in room-temperature water, but we had to stir or shake it for at least 30 seconds.
The supplement taste was strong enough to block out the grassy taste of powdered vegetables and herbs.
Editor’s Tip: Mixing it in green tea or a smoothie may help mask the taste even more if you’re not a fan. For us, it was more pleasant to drink using a cold liquid instead.
However, some Amazon and Trustpilot customer reviewers mentioned that the supplement tastes bad or doesn’t mix well. We used a protein shaker in our test and did not experience a problem with mixing.
Finding a product that tastes good for you is important, but it may take some experimentation with different brands. Based on our experience with powdered fruits and vegetable supplements, the taste will take time to get used to. These types of supplements are meant to be taken long-term to experience the full range of benefits.
Consider the Total Cost of Using Morning Complete
|Quantity||Original Price||*Current Promotional Price|
|1 jar (30-day supply)||$79||$49|
|3 jars (90-day supply)||$213 (10% savings)||$134|
|6 jars (180-day supply)||$403 (15% savings)||$249|
*ActivatedYou regularly runs various promotions, so you will likely never have to pay the full sticker price. The links in this article take you to the promotional prices.
The company offers free shipping for all orders over $50.
Because you will likely have to use Morning Complete for an extended period to start experiencing benefits, the monthly cost is an important consideration since it won’t be a one-time purchase.
We recommend trying a container first if you are considering purchasing the supplement. If you are okay with the taste and texture and find the product beneficial, it may be worth buying in bulk to save the most money. (Keep in mind, it may take at least two weeks of consistently taking a product like this to experience benefits.)
According to the brand’s website, ActivatedYou offers a generous 90-day money-back guarantee allowing you to get a full refund on your order for up to 90 days after your purchase for opened or unopened bottles. However, you are required to pay for the return shipping.
Morning Complete May Provide a Variety of Health Benefits
Morning Complete is designed to increase nutrient intake that the brand claims can provide the following health benefits:
- Improving digestion
- Supporting energy levels
- Regulating metabolism
- Improving liver and cellular function
- Blood sugar regulation
- Improving brain function
- Providing antioxidant activity
This supplement has not been tested as a whole, but there is plenty of scientific evidence on the individual ingredients used in this product.
The evidence is strongest to support the claims of Morning Complete for improving digestion and providing antioxidant support. However, there is less support for other claims that the brand makes.
One key drawback is that the brand does not disclose specific amounts of each ingredient. So there is no way to know if you are getting an effective dose.
When it comes to fruit and vegetable powders like Morning Complete, your diet, lifestyle habits, and personal medical history affect the range of benefits you will experience. (You’d likely need to take it consistently for at least two weeks to see how your body responds.) So trying it yourself is the only way to know what benefits a product like this may provide.
With this understanding, here are key takeaways from our evaluation of scientific research on the ingredients of Morning Complete:
Morning Complete contains prebiotic fiber, cinnamon bark, and probiotics L. rhamnosus, and B. longum, which may help improve digestion by regulating intestinal bacteria and reducing constipation and diarrhea.
Click for Detailed Research
Morning Complete contains 4 grams of fiber per serving from tapioca fiber and cinnamon bark. Fiber is an indigestible material shown to help improve digestive problems like constipation and diarrhea.
Tapioca fiber is a soluble fiber that turns into a gel in water. Soluble fiber can help soften and form the stool and make it easier to pass through the digestive system. This can be helpful for those with either constipation or diarrhea. (1, 1)
Additionally, fiber is a prebiotic — or a food source for the bacteria that reside in your large intestine. These bacteria play a key role in digestion. (2)
Additionally, the supplement provides 10 billion colony-forming units (CFU) of probiotics, or live strains of “good bacteria” that can colonize in your large intestine.
These live probiotic strains may help to rebalance your gut bacteria composition, promoting improved digestion. (3)
One study on the strains L. rhamnosus and B. longum — both in Morning Complete — noted that these probiotic supplements helped decrease bloating and constipation in people with lactose intolerance and digestive problems. (4)
Supporting Energy Levels
Morning Complete contains B-vitamin-rich green vegetable powders, which may help your body effectively transform food into energy it can use.
Click for Detailed Research
The Green Superfoods Blend found in the supplement contains powdered kale, broccoli, spinach, alfalfa leaf, barley grass, and more.
Green vegetables and herbs are rich in B-vitamins, which the body needs to transform food into usable energy. However, the amount of B vitamins provided through this Green Superfoods Blend is not detailed on the label. (5)
Some evidence suggests that green tea can help you burn more fat and reduce your appetite, so Morning Complete may offer some metabolism-boosting benefits.
Click for Detailed Research
Morning Complete’s Metabolic Enhancing Blend contains green tea, ginger, white tea, turmeric, bitter melon, and black pepper.
Green tea, in particular, is well-researched for its metabolism and weight loss effects. Researchers have found that drinking green tea before exercise increases the fat burned during exercise. Other studies have noted that green tea may decrease appetite, so it may be a good choice if you’re trying to lose weight to reach a healthy body weight. (6, 7)
White tea, which is the same plant but harvested earlier when the leaves are still very young and tender, may offer similar effects because it contains similar compounds.
Improving Liver and Cellular Function
Morning Complete contains aloe vera leaf and milk thistle extract as its Cellular Function and Liver Support blend. These ingredients reportedly help improve cellular health and support the liver’s primary function of helping to rid your body of potentially harmful byproducts from food, drinks, or medications.
Click for Detailed Research
Although there’s not a lot of strong research to support the use of aloe vera for liver or cellular health, milk thistle is fairly well-researched. It contains a compound called silymarin, a powerful antioxidant that may help promote optimal cell health and provide protection to liver cells in particular. (8)
However, high-quality human trials haven’t found significant benefits from silymarin for people with liver disease. Regardless, it may still offer some benefits for people without liver disease. (9, 10)
Blood Sugar Regulation
The pine bark extract in Morning Complete may improve blood sugar levels. The Sugar Balancing Support Blend ingredients may provide other positive effects for people with diabetes.
Click for Detailed Research
Morning Complete contains Gymnema sylvestre leaf, fennel seed, and pine bark extract. These ingredients may help regulate your blood sugar levels.
One study found that — while the medicinal plant G. sylvestre had positive effects on body weight and lipid (blood fat) levels in people with diabetes — it actually didn’t affect their blood sugar levels. (11)
However, another study found that pine bark extract offered a number of positive changes for people with type 2 diabetes, including improved average blood sugar levels, cholesterol, and waist circumference. (12)
Brain Function, Stress, and Mood Support
Some of the ingredients in Morning Complete may help improve the body’s stress response and lift your mood, but there’s not strong evidence that they will improve your focus.
Click for Detailed Research
To support aspects of brain function such as focus, concentration, and mood, Morning Complete contains an adaptogen blend including astragalus root and Rhodiola rosea.
These herbs are called adaptogens because they help the body to better adapt to stress and may promote relaxation or improved focus.
For example, one study found that astragalus root could help reduce inflammation and promote immune balance in athletes who had overtrained. (13)
High-quality studies have noted that the herb R. rosea provides mood-lifting benefits and may be useful for depression and anxiety. However, although some weaker studies have noted R. rosea may help improve focus and concentration, this hasn’t been seen in high-quality trials. (14, 15)
Providing Antioxidant Activity
Many of the ingredients in Morning Complete contain antioxidants, which may help to reduce oxidative damage from free radicals.
Click for Detailed Research
Morning Complete is rich in antioxidants, not only from the Antioxidant Blend it contains, but also from the many other plant-based extracts such as medicinal herbs and greens.
Antioxidants get their name from their ability to reduce oxidative stress, caused by unstable free radical compounds that can build up inside your cells and damage them. (16)
Oxidative damage is thought to contribute to a number of diseases and chronic conditions, like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. (17)
However, antioxidants can neutralize these unstable compounds.
One older study found that lycium berry (better known as Goji berry), an ingredient in Morning Complete, significantly improved the blood antioxidant profile of older adults in only 30 days when compared to a placebo. (18)
The Supplement Is Generally Safe but Not for Everyone
We independently verified that Morning Complete is third-party tested for ingredient quality and safety with the brand. However, there’s no information available about the testing results on their website.
With the exception of aloe vera, the ingredients in Morning Complete are considered safe, with a low risk of side effects for most people.
Some users have reported side effects from taking Morning Complete, like diarrhea or an upset stomach.
In animal studies, aloe vera has also been linked to kidney failure and cancer. It is currently classified as a “possible human carcinogen” (or cancer-causing agent) by the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer. (19)
However, there are also potential benefits provided by aloe vera, including reducing cellular inflammation.
The amount in Morning Complete doesn’t appear significant enough to cause harm beyond mild digestive side effects in some people. (20)
Additionally, because Morning Complete contains ingredients that could affect your blood sugar level, people with diabetes should be cautious when starting it.
If you have any health conditions, are taking prescription medication, or are pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best to speak with your healthcare provider before using Morning Complete.
How Morning Complete Compares to Alternatives
There are many different fruit and vegetable powders (also known as greens powders) on the market that contain probiotics, greens, fiber, and herbs.
When choosing a product like this, consider the following:
- Ingredient Quality: Does the product contain primarily organic whole foods derived ingredients? Does it have added sugar, other sweeteners, or artificial flavors and colors? Do the products bear a reputable third-party testing seal to demonstrate their commitment to quality, safety, and purity?
- Evidence-Based Recommendations: Does the brand have evidence or research available to support its ingredients?
- Monthly Cost: These products are meant to be taken long-term. How does the overall price of the product compare to other brands
- Taste: To experience the full range of benefits, you need to take these supplements consistently long-term. Taste is unique to an individual, so finding the right product may take some trial and error. Look for brands with a flexible return policy.
Here’s how Morning Complete compares to the brands that made our Best Greens Powder List.
|Morning Complete||AG1||Beyond Greens||Amazing Grass|
|Price||$79.99 for 30-day supply||$99.99 for 30-day supply||$31.99 for 30-day supply||$32.99 for 30-day supply|
|Lowest Possible Price||$41.50 with bulk purchase (6 jars)||$79.99 with subscription||$24.99 with bulk subscription (4 jars)||$26.39 with subscription|
|Shipping||Free over $50||$9||Free||$7.99 or free over $59.99|
|Returns||90-days money-back||60-days money-back||One year money-back, minus 15% return fee||30-days money-back on unopened or damaged product only|
Click Below to See More Details About Each Alternative
Vs. AG1 from Athletic Greens
Athletic Greens may be a better choice for you if you prefer organic ingredients or want to use a greens supplement that can replace your multivitamin.
Athletic Greens AG1 is a comprehensive wellness drink mix that contains vitamins, minerals, organic plant extracts (including fruits, vegetables, and herbs), antioxidants, mushrooms, and probiotics. It’s marketed as a supplement for people with active lifestyles, but anyone can use it.
The key differences between AG1 and Morning Complete are that AG1 is made with several organic ingredients and contains added vitamins, minerals, and mushrooms.
AG1 is $99 for 30-servings, but you can get a monthly supply for $79.99 with a subscription. They offer a 60-day money-back guarantee. Shipping is $9 on all orders, with or without a subscription.
Read Our Full Review of AG1
Vs. LiveConscious Beyond Greens
Beyond Greens, from LiveConscious, is a budget-friendly option that is less than half of the price of Morning Complete.
It has fewer ingredients but still contains R. rosea, green tea, milk thistle, and probiotics. In addition, it includes several medicinal mushrooms.
It also shares the exact amount of each ingredient in its supplement, rather than the total amount of each “Blend” as Morning Complete does.
Beyond Greens costs $31.99 for a 30-day supply, but you can get the price as low as $24.99 if you purchase in bulk. Beyond Greens offers a one-year money-back guarantee but will deduct a 15% return fee from your refund.
Beyond Greens may be a good choice if you’re looking for a less expensive probiotic greens drink.
Read Our Full Review of Beyond Greens
Vs. Amazing Grass Greens Blend
Amazing Grass might be ideal for you if you are looking for a more budget-friendly supplement that may help improve your digestive health, since it contains probiotics, prebiotic fiber, and digestive enzymes.
Amazing Grass offers a large selection of greens products. Their original product, the Greens Blend, contains greens powders, antioxidants from fruits and vegetables, fiber, prebiotics and probiotics, and digestive enzymes – which may help you digest the supplement easier.
Like Beyond Greens, it is a more budget-friendly option. A 30-day supply costs $32.99, or $26.39 if you subscribe. Amazing Grass offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for unused or damaged products, but does not offer refunds on opened products.
Read Our Full Amazing Grass Review
At WellnessVerge, we only use reputable sources, including peer-reviewed medical journals and well-respected academic institutions.
- [Clinical benefits after soluble dietary fiber supplementation: a randomized clinical trial in adults with slow-transit constipation] - PubMed:
- Dietary fiber and prebiotics and the gastrointestinal microbiota - PubMed:
- Role of Probiotics in Human Gut Microbiome-Associated Diseases - PubMed:
- Effects of Bifidobacterium longum and Lactobacillus rhamnosus on Gut Microbiota in Patients with Lactose Intolerance and Persisting Functional Gastrointestinal Symptoms: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Cross-Over Study - PubMed:
- Vitamins and Minerals for Energy, Fatigue and Cognition: A Narrative Review of the Biochemical and Clinical Evidence - PubMed:
- Matcha Green Tea Drinks Enhance Fat Oxidation During Brisk Walking in Females - PubMed:
- The effects of green tea on lipid metabolism and its potential applications for obesity and related metabolic disorders - An existing update - PubMed:
- Silymarin as Supportive Treatment in Liver Diseases: A Narrative Review - PubMed:
- Silymarin in non-cirrhotics with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial - PubMed:
- A Randomized Trial of Silymarin for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis - PubMed:
- Effect of Gymnema sylvestre Administration on Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin Sensitivity, and Insulin Secretion - PubMed:
- Effect of French maritime pine bark extract supplementation on metabolic status and serum vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 levels in patients with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria - PubMed:
- Standardized astragalus extract for attenuation of the immunosuppression induced by strenuous physical exercise: randomized controlled trial - PubMed:
- The Effects of Rhodiola rosea L. Extract on Anxiety, Stress, Cognition and Other Mood Symptoms - PubMed:
- Rhodiola rosea versus sertraline for major depressive disorder: A randomized placebo-controlled trial - PubMed:
- A Review on Free Radicals and Antioxidants - PubMed:
- The impact of reactive oxygen species in the development of cardiometabolic disorders: a review - PubMed:
- Lycium barbarum (goji) juice improves in vivo antioxidant biomarkers in serum of healthy adults - PubMed:
- Aloe vera: A review of toxicity and adverse clinical effects - PubMed:
- Aloe vera (L.) Webb.: Natural Sources of Antioxidants - A Review - PubMed: